Saturday, December 5, 2015

My goals in studying abroad



My academic intention in my decision to study abroad was the following:

1) Increase my German language proficiency, specifically in my writing and professional vocabulary
2) Prepare myself for a potential career in Germany
3) Take courses that are not available at UGA but still very applicable to my future career

So far, I can proudly say that I feel much more confident in speaking German. In fact, I am almost proud when I make a mistake in English since it is getting harder to speak it (meaning my German is getting better..yayyy). I have actually been considering changing my career to teaching German as a second language. My studies so far have been towards speech pathology, however my interests are turning more and more towards teaching German to children. Fortunately, my courses in Speech pathology have been relevant and can assist me in whatever future career I pursue since it required me to take many linguistic and language acquisition courses. I am still in the process of applying to graduate programs in both disciplines since I have not made up my mind yet and would like to keep my options open. The longer I stay here, the more confident I become in my new decision. I truly can say that this experience is changing me as a person for what I believe is the better.

The views, opinions and positions expressed by the author and those providing comments on this blog are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or positions of the Office of International Education, the University of Georgia or any employee thereof. The University of Georgia makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability or validity of any information presented by individual authors and/or commenters on this blog and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use.”

No comments:

Post a Comment